Facts & Figures
Top quality improvements:
Innovation in our portfolio of clinical services progressed in 2011/12. Among the many developments, the following are of note:
- in 2011/12, a year-long expansion of the Trust's Palliative Care Team was completed, leaving it with two consultants, six specialist nurses and an end of life care facilitator
- in 2011/12, the Emergency Assessment Unit at Colchester General Hospital increased from 20 beds to 45 beds by merging with the adjoining Short Stay Unit
- in 2011/12, potentially life-saving defibrillators (implantable cardioverter defibrillators) were implanted in patients for the first time at Colchester General Hospital to shock abnormal fast heart rhythms back to normal
- in 2011/12, work began on a £1.5m project to create a specialist vascular operating theatre at Colchester General Hospital, which is due to open in June
You can read more key quality improvements in our latest Annual Report and Accounts.
Statistics for 2011/12 (previous year figures in brackets):
- 409,491 Outpatient attendances* (399,291)
- 73,504 Accident & Emergency patients (73,390)
- 84,336 Inpatient and day case admissions (80,223)
- 3,962 Babies delivered (4,021)
* figures taken from Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust commissioned activity.
Outpatient attendances include first, follow-up appointments and procedures carried out on an outpatient basis.
Inpatient and day case admissions include day cases, electives, non-electives and regular day attenders (RDAs).
You can read more facts and figures in our latest Annual Report and Accounts.