Looking for the Elections 2014 page?
Our NHS Foundation Trust comprises of a membership, a Council of Governors and a Board of Directors.
The membership is a mixture of the public and of staff and the Council of Governors has a Chair, and a mixture of public, staff and stakeholder governors:
15 public governors
- 5 representing Colchester
- 5 representing Tendring
- 3 representing Halstead & Colne Valley
- 1 for Rest of Essex
- 1 for Suffolk.
- 1 representing Medical Practitioners
- 1 for Allied Health Professionals and Healthcare Scientists
- 1 for Support Staff
- 2 for Nursing and Midwifery.
6 stakeholder governors
- Colchester Borough Council
- Colchester Garrison
- Essex County Council Social Services
- NHS North East Essex (the PCT)
- Tendring District Council
- University of Essex & Anglia Ruskin University (joint nomination)
Governors are a conduit and meet with people in their local community or staff group, to help report back on what happens at Council of Governors meetings, and to listen to ideas and opinions from members of the public and staff. They follow a Code of Conduct (72Kb) dated January 2011.
- attend Council of Governors meetings
- work together to advise and influence on how the NHS Foundation Trust develops to meet the needs of people in north east Essex.
- discuss major service developments, annual report and accounts, and how members are recruited and informed.
You can see photos of governors here.
Governors are not just part of a large 'talking shop'. They are given the power to appoint the Chair and Non-Executive Directors and they approve the appointment of the Chief Executive. They also appoint the Trust's Auditors and make recommendations for the revision of the Trust's Constitution.
Meanwhile, the Board of Directors has a Chair (the same person as the Council Chair) and non-executive and executive directors and is responsible for the day-to-day running of the NHS Foundation Trust, including very important issues such as providing quality services, compliance with guidance and the assurance of good governance and public accountability.
The public and staff governors are elected by the members and are responsible for ensuring dialogue with the membership. They communicate this to the Board of Directors through the Council of Governors which influences and signs off strategies whilst monitoring performance and holding to account the Board of Directors.
Here are the Public Governors election statements, (167 kb)
Here are the Staff Governor Statement of Principles, (96 kb)