Clacton Maternity Unit
Welcome to our Midwife-Led Unit!
Service Update - Please see our News article regarding temporary changes to our Clacton and Harwich maternity units.
Clacton Hospital is home to our midwife-led unit offering a home-from-home environment which is more relaxed than the busy obstetric unit.
At Clacton we offer a full range of midwife-led maternity services. Women and their families can expect care at Clacton from early pregnancy right through to after the baby is born. Antenatal appointments are available daily, including weekends and evenings and women can choose to either see their named midwife or their team of midwives for their care. We also have 5 outlying GP surgeries which provide a weekly midwife clinic.
In Pregnancy we offer 'Preparation for labour' Workshops. Please call early to book your place. Breastfeeding and early days Postnatal workshops are available. Please ask.
Giving birth at the Clacton midwife-led unit has many benefits.
- You are more likely to be supported and cared for by a midwife you know
- You are likely to be closer to home and experience fewer birth interventions
- You are less likely to need analgesia for labour
- You can use our Birthing Pools
- Our midwives are committed to achieving the birth you want
- We can use active birth techniques, massage techniques and breathing techniques in labour to enhance normality
The unit is available to all women who are over 37 weeks pregnant and who have normal pregnancies. You should have no significant medical or pregnancy problems. There are no doctors based at Clacton Hospital and therefore should you require specific help from the obstetric team it would mean transferring to Colchester Obstetric Unit. If a transfer is necessary, the midwife caring for you in labour at Clacton travels with you and continues to care for you at Colchester.
You will have the opportunity to stay overnight after the birth of your baby for rest and support. Transfer to Clacton is also possible for mothers who have given birth at the Obstetric Unit in Colchester. Once you and your new baby arrive home you will be visited frequently by a midwife until you are both discharged to the care of your Health Visitor, this is usually after 10 days.
Clacton midwife-led unit and Clacton Hospital offers a range of facilities including:
- Birthing pools for use in labour
- A wide range of pain management techniques for labour
- 24 hour support available from a midwife
- Labour workshops for women and their birth partners
- Free Antenatal exercise classes
- Postnatal exercise classes (charges apply)
- In-house scanning and blood taking
- Consultant clinics for those women requiring additional obstetric care
- HypnoBirthing classes (charges apply)
- Breastfeeding and early days Postnatal classes
- Pregnancy Aquanatal classes (coming soon)
For more information call Clacton Maternity Unit: 01255 201600