Welcome to Colchester Hospital Physiotherapy
Delivering high quality, patient focused therapy & rehabilitation services
The Physiotherapy Department
Colchester General Hospital
Tel: 01206 742550
Fax: 01206 742549
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession which aims to enable patients to maximise their independence and improve their quality of life. The treatment methods used promote, maintain and restore physical, psychological and social well being.
Physiotherapists work in a wide variety of health settings such as intensive care, musculoskeletal pain, paediatrics, care of elderly, stroke recovery, sports injuries, women's health, mental illness and occupational health.
It is science-based, committed to extending, applying, evaluating and reviewing the evidence that underpins and informs its practice and delivery.
Why choose Colchester Hospital Physiotherapy Dept?
Colchester Physiotherapy Department has a professional, caring and motivational atmosphere. We provide integrated care and therapy on site, to hospital inpatients and outpatients. Also within the community, in satellite clinics and in patients' own homes. We are continuously developing our services to provide the best care for the changing community.
- Multiple well equipped gymnasiums with changing and shower rooms
- 12 bed musculoskeletal outpatient department
- Hydrotherapy pool
- Purpose built Stroke Unit with its own rehabilitation gymnasium
- Computerised interactive exercise systems
- Wide range of modern therapeutic equipment
- Satellite Clinics - Mersea Health Care Centre/Hawthorn Avenue
- Extended opening hours
- Excellent communication links with Consultants and GPs
- Convenient access to hospital services, such as X-Ray and A&E
- Good public transport connections
- Links with community schemes - LEAP (life enhancing activity programme)
- Over 100 fully qualified Physiotherapists and Associates
- Chartered and registered with the Health Professions Council
- Specialist teams covering a broad scope of practice
- Innovative graduates
- Annual appraisal and regular mentoring
- Consolidation and expansion of knowledge with regular training updates
- Delivery of best clinical practice, supported by the latest scientific evidence
- Link to local Universities for supervision of undergraduate clinical placements
Our services are delivered by highly skilled, specialist physiotherapy staff, who with clinical reasoning offer a comprehensive range of therapy for neurological (brain and nervous system), musculoskeletal (muscles, bones, joints), respiratory (lungs) and cardiovascular (heart) dysfunction.
Physiotherapy treatment plays a vital part in reducing pain, increasing joint movement, promoting healing, improving patient function and education to encourage self management.
We are strongly committed to patient focused care, addressing patients' individual needs. Our purpose is through health promotion, preventive healthcare, treatment and rehabilitation for people of all ages and with their families/carers, to aid the individual to reach their full potential following injury, illness or surgery.
The main physiotherapy department is located on the ground floor of Gainsborough Wing, a new build in 2000, next to the main Colchester Hospital and its attractive lake.
In this wing there is a small shop for light refreshments.