Rearrange or cancel your appointment
Updated 2 October 2012
The letter you receive for your appointment will tell you the date on which you should come into hospital. Please be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
If you cannot keep your appointment please phone the number on your appointment letter* (weekdays, during office hours). It is vital you let us know so that we can offer the appointment to another patient. It could be you next time who needs a cancellation slot.
Or you can change, rearrange or cancel your appointment by email:
- for outpatient appointments: email@example.com.
- for inpatient or day case appointments: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please remember to include your full name and address, date of birth, your hospital number (on the appointment letter) date of the hospital appointment, your GP's name and any other relevant information.
* Alternatively, our Contact Centre (Appointments Office) can be phoned for advice during office hours on 01206 747576 for these specialities:
- Dietetics (Essex County and Clacton)
- Ear Nose and Throat
- Fracture appointments (with A&E)
- General Surgery
- Oral Surgery
- Pain Management
- Plastic Surgery
- Trauma and Orthopaedics
Please note that the following services are NOT booked or amended by the Contact Centre:
- Breast Screening. Please call 01206 744749
- Breast Surgery. Please call 01206 744608
- Care of the Elderly. Please call 01206 742534/2691/2532
- Community Paediatrics (children). Please call the PCT 01206 286500
- Cryotherapy. Please call the PCT 01206 286500
- CT Scans. Please call 01206 742144
- Diabetes/Diabetic Nurse. Please call 01206 742514 or 742511 or 742394
- Gynaecology. Please call 01206 742398
- Haematology. Please call 01206 742357 or 742518
- Hearing and Balance Services. Go to Hearing and Balance Services page (Audiology).
- MRI scans. Please call 01206 744222
- Oncology. Please call 01206 744548
- Ophthalmology. Please call 01206 744705 or 744423
- Orthoptics. Please call 01206 744659
- Paediatrics (children). Please call 01206 746177 or 746178
- Physiotherapy. Please call 01206 742529
- Podiatry. Please call the PCT 01206 286500
- Radiology (X-ray). Please call 01206 742724
- Thoracic. Please call 01206 742006 or 742933 or 742179
- Ultrasound. Please call 01206 742502
Outpatients get reminded by phone
People with hospital outpatient appointments in Colchester get reminders by phone. The Trust hopes the Outpatient Appointment Confirmation Service will lead to a reduction in its Did Not Attend (DNA) rate.
The service also has the potential to further reduce waiting times. By reminding patients about their appointment we are also making it easier for patients who wish to cancel or rearrange.
Patients are contacted seven days before their outpatient appointment: people aged 65 and over are contacted by call centre staff and others via an automated telephone call.
If you receive a reminder call, you will be asked to confirm who you are by giving your date of birth before you are given your appointment reminder. You can then press the appropriate button on your phone to confirm, cancel or rearrange your appointment. Some appointments, such as genito-urinary medicine and termination of pregnancy, are not covered by the outpatient appointment confirmation service.
The service is free of charge and patients can email the manager to opt out of the service.
To make a comment about this service please email email@example.com