Radiotherapy Information and Support Service
We have two Macmillan Information and Support radiographers: one full time, one part time
Telephone 01206 745026
What this role provides for patients.
Our service aims to be a direct contact for patients, relatives and carers before, during and after course of radiotherapy giving radiotherapy information and holistic support which is tailored to their needs.
- specialist radiotherapy information booklets, written in house, which are essential to adequately inform patients about radiotherapy, its side effects and what to expect during and after treatment.
- consultations with patients giving information about radiotherapy and giving time to discuss their concerns. We are also trained to obtain consent from patients for radiotherapy treatment.
- holistic support for patients, relatives and carers. We give each patient the opportunity to compete a short holistic assessment form so that we can tailor our service to their needs.
- a radiotherapy information phone service which patients, relatives and cares can access before , during and after radiotherapy treatment
- a link with other health and social care professionals involved in the care of radiotherapy patients both in the hospital and in the community. We refer patients to other professionals eg counsellors, community palliative care services, Macmillan services
Promotion of knowledge about radiotherapy to other professionals and agencies and groups in the community. We are available to give presentations about radiotherapy to interested groups.